Thursday, June 16, 2011

FILM 1: Andrei Tarkovsky's Ivan's Childhood

We are opening The Odyssey with Andrei Tarkovsky's film Ivan's Childhood. I'd like to say that I have some profound reason for choosing this film to open with but the truth is, I have recently watched it and the images are still swirling around in my head. I think i just wanted to share it with others so i can hear what they think about it. That's not to say that I don't think this film is brilliant.

Tarkovsky is a Russian filmmaker who pretty much makes what I would say are visual poems. You kind of just have to let them wash over you and trust it will sort itself out by the end. On a second viewing you will probably wonder why you were ever confused in the first place. I'm sure their is a fancy name for that kind of story telling, if anybody knows feel free to leave a comment. Tarkosvsky films are not the easiest to watch, often long, slow paced, non-linear, dream like images etc. Ivan is what I would call Tarkovsky light, it has all the usual elements but with a pretty straight forward plot that remains easy to follow. This may be because Tarkovsky took the film over from another director and was still discovering his visual style.


I have to admit it took me awhile to warm up to the films of Andrei Tarkovsky. My first try was at least 15 years ago when I attempted to watch Solaris, his 1972 science fiction film often compared to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. Being a big fan of Kubrick and 2001, this film seemed like a must see. I was however, surprised to discover that I was unable to make it through the first thirty minutes of this nearly three hour long film,without dozing off. Through the years I've attempted to watch Solaris a few more times, I even tried another Tarkovsky film Andrei Rublev (1966), three hours and twenty minutes, with the same results. However, something kept calling me back to Solaris and about six months ago I made another attempt and the results were amazing.

I was immediately hypnotized by the slow pace of the film and allowed the images to wash over me. I began to understand the visual language that Tarkovsky likes to use. Images that I have since see reoccur in all his films. I was hooked. I have since watched almost all of his films and consider them all works of art that I can return to watch over and over again. Why do I find it so easy to watch his films now and not before? I have no idea. It is like a door in my mind opened up to a new part that is able to translate his imagery. Either way, I am a fan and Tarkovsky has quickly become one of my favorite film makers.



Ivan's Childhood is Tarkovsky's first feature film and is a great place to start, his student film, a short entitled, The Steamroller and The Violin is also worth a watch and available on DVD. Ivan is much more accessible then his later works while still remaining true to his visual style and themes. Let me know what you think.
- Loegan Magic

IVAN'S CHILDHOOD (1962)                         DIRECTED BY: Andrei Tarkovsky

Andrei Tarkovsky's debut feature is an extraordinarily moving and powerful story of war and revenge. Determined to avenge his family's death at the hands of the Nazis, 12-year-old Ivan (Kolya Burlyayev) joins a Russian partisan regiment as a scout. He becomes indispensable for his ability to slip inconspicuously through enemy lines, but as his missions become increasingly dangerous, the enemy starts taking notice.
- From Netflix website

LENGTH: 95 mins
LANGUAGE: Russian with English subtitles
RATING: NR Intended for mature audiences

ABOUT THE DIRECTOR:
Andrei Arsenyevich Tarkovsky (Russian: April 4, 1932 – December 29, 1986) was a Soviet and Russian filmmaker, writer, film editor, film theorist and opera director, widely regarded as one of the finest filmmakers of the 20th century. Tarkovsky's films include Andrei Rublev, Solaris, The Mirror, and Stalker. They are characterized by spirituality and metaphysical themes, long takes, lack of conventional dramatic structure and plot, and distinctively authored use of cinematography.
-From Wikipedia

Enjoy The Show!

3 comments:

  1. The first Tarkovsky film I saw was Andrei Rublev and I was left completely stunned by the experience - I still am every time I see it. Quite intense and draining but so profound and astonishingly beautiful and unlike any film I'd seen before. I'm still unable to fully comprehend the film, mostly because I'm quite stupid, but also because it seems to me to have unfathomable depth that evades definitive understanding.

    I like your point that you kind of just have to let them wash over you and trust it will sort itself out by the end. That's definitely my approach. I kind of get Tarkovsky's films intuitively rather than cerebrally. That's why I think he's one of the best visual filmmakers because his films make a direct connection with the soul, if you like. I like the fact that with Tarkovsky his films are never finished once you've watched them. They carry on working away at you long afterwards and seem open to infinite interpretations. Perhaps less so with Ivan's Childhood because there is a more conventional plot to follow, but there is still this wonderful visual poetry that I imagine was thanks mostly to Tarkovsky's input. A great film to open the Odyssey with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about Andrei Rublev, an amazing film that I'd be lying if I said I totally understood. I think with that particular film not being familiar with Russian history or Andrei Rublev leaves me at a disadvantage. I read somewhere that in Rublev Tarkovsky is trying to show that art reflects the events that surround the artist, which makes sense, since Rublev is an observer in most of the events shown in the film and not usually involved in the actual action. However, this is just one of many idea that the film explores, most of which are lost upon me.

    I was considering showing Rublev at The Odyssey, it would be a great film to discuss, but I'm fearful of showing a three hour twenty minute long film in Second Life, not sure anyone would sit through it. I can think of a lot of long films that I'd love to show but I'm weary of the long running time. What do you think? Should I not let that stop me from showing them​?

    As of right now I'd say that Stalker is my favorite Tarkovsky film. I have yet to see The Sacrifice and Nostalghia. Sacrfice is on its way from Netflix as we speak but Nostalghia does not seem to be available on DVD in the US. Regardless, I am memorized by all of Tarkovsky's works. I will be sad when I've seen them all and have none left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's a pity he only got to make such a small number of films. Perhaps it's a good thing that Nostalghia isn't available for you right now then, so you still have something to look forward to. I liked The Sacrifice personally, but I think some don't rate it as highly as his earlier work. And Nostalghia I think is one for Tarkovsky fans more than the casual viewer. One scene in particular seems to test the patience of many! I don't think you'll be disappointed with either though. I love Stalker too, it's in my top three with Andrei Rublev and Mirror.

    Yeah, 3 hours plus may be a bit long for Second Life perhaps because people are bound to be interrupted by IMs etc. And you wouldn't want to be half way through Satantango and have to start again from the beginning because of a crash or something!

    ReplyDelete